smile smile ÛíÑ ãÊÕá

ÊÇÑíÎ ÇáÊøÓÌíá: Jun 2003
ÇáÅÞÇãÉ: áäÏä - ÇáÏæÑ ÇáÊÇáÊ
ÇáãÔÇÑßÇÊ: 3,021
smile is on a distinguished road
The Truth About the Da Vinci Code

The Truth About the Da Vinci Code

I. Introduction

Once again, Satan is launching one of his fiery darts at the core of our Christian belief. Through the Da Vinci Code novel, he is deploying his favorite cunning device that is instilling confusion and doubt in the minds of the believers.

In this paper, I will present a concise “synopsis” of the novel, followed by an outline of the false claims being asserted by the author with a response and refutation to these assertions.

II. Background

The Da Vinci Code has sold 40 million copies, and a motion picture version will hit theaters this month on May 19. The plot deals with surprising discoveries of the “true” facts about Jesus Christ and Christian history.

The story of the book which is a murder mystery novel that took place in Paris and London is built around certain “constructs” that assert the following:

Jesus was not the divine Son of God, but a mere man whose true mission and identity have been distorted.

Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married and had a child who escaped to France. Their descendants survive to this day.

Jesus then desired that Mary Magdalene become the leader of the church. The teachings of Christ throughout the years were revised by other men like Peter.

Jesus was turned into “God” in order to protect the Patriarchal system.

The Catholic Church along with the rest of Christianity has worked together to maintain this 2000 year cover up.

Millions throughout history have been misinformed about what Christianity truly is; and finally, these secrets have been known by a select few (such as Leonardo DaVinci, who attempted to present these facts to the world through “clues” incorporated into his paintings).

The secret of Jesus’ “True Identity” is maintained by a group known as the “Priory of Sion” that has existed since 1099. Documents found in Paris in 1975 confirm its existence.

Sir Isaac Newton and Leonardo Da Vinci were Grand Masters in this organization.

III. Why is it Called Da Vinci Code?

In this novel, Leonardo Da Vinci is portrayed as head of the conspiracy guarding the “truth” about Jesus Christ. He is said to have planted various codes (secret symbols) in his work, particularly in his famous painting of the Last Supper.

According to the novel, this painting depicts Jesus’ alleged wife, Mary Magdalene, next to him as a symbol of her knowledge of his true teaching.

In reality, the figure that Dan Brown identifies as Mary Magdalene is John the Evangelist, who traditionally has been regarded as the youngest of the apostles and so is often pictured in medieval art without a beard.

IV. The Author

The author is Dan Brown. He is a former English teacher who has authored three previous books. Digital Fortress, Deception Point and Angels & Demons.

He claims to be a Christian-of a sort. A “Frequently Asked Questions” page on his web site www.danbrown.com contains the following exchange when asked if he is a “Christian”:
"I am, although perhaps not in the most traditional sense of the word. If you ask three people what it means to be Christian, you will get three different answers. Some feel being baptized is sufficient. Others feel you must accept the Bible as immutable historical fact. Still others require a belief that all those who do not accept Christ as their personal savior are doomed to hell. We are all trying to decipher life’s big mysteries, and we’re each following our own paths of enlightenment. I consider myself a student of many religions. The more I learn, the more questions I have. For me, the spiritual quest will be a life-long work in progress."

V. Why Is it So Popular?

The novel has gained tremendous popularity once released because it addresses issues that feed into our culture:

Feminism
Sexuality and Sexual Rituals
Conspiracy
Gnosticism
New Age movement. Jesus is a great teacher. He is one among many this is very appealing to today’s culture.

VI. Why Should We, Christians, be Concerned?

The writer goes in great lengths to convey the impression that it is based on fact. He even has a “FACT” page at the front of the book, one page ahead of his prologue, where he states, “All de******ions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate."

The book also states, “Almost everything our fathers taught us about Christ is false” (p. 235).

Therefore, the concern stems from the author’s claim that the Da Vinci Code is based on “fact.” Though the book is a novel, its content distorts the core teachings of our Christian faith. For us, Christians, if the truth about our Savior isn’t worth defending, what is?

VII. Claims Attacking the Core of Our Christian Faith

Below are some of the claims promoted by the book that clearly attack the core of our Christian Faith:
Jesus was viewed as man and not as God until the fourth century, when he was deified by the emperor Constantine.
Until that moment in history, Jesus was viewed by His followers as a mortal prophet… a great and powerful man, but a man nonetheless. A mortal… By officially endorsing Jesus as the Son of God, Constantine turned Jesus into a deity (p.233).
"

ÍßãÉ Çáíæã
ÇÍäÇ áíÔ äÓÊæÑÏ ÇáãÚßÑæäå ãä ÇáÎÇÑÌ ããßä äÒÑÚåÇ Ýì ÈáÇÏäÇ ÇáÚÑÈíå
ÇÍÏ ÇáÍßÇã ÇáÚÑÈ

Mind Utter Devastation
ÇáÑÏ ãÚ ÅÞÊÈÇÓ